CUCINA TOSCANA 2004
Episode 1 - FROM LUCCA WITH LOVE
- Johnny and Damian take back to their wonderful visits in the
town of Lucca in the Tuscan region of Italy. They share a delicious
rabbit recipe with a sauce rich with herbs and fresh vegetables
from the region served with Tacconi pasta. Damian's tip for the
week points out the differences between Italian ice creams and
American ice creams. They finish up by making an elegant vanilla
gelato with crisp pieces of biscotti that makes the mouth water.
- Episode 2 - WARMING WINTER DINNER
- Johnny and Damian celebrate the coming of winter by preparing
an exotic Wild Boar roast served with polenta. Next they share
a unique approach to preparing cannellini beans that are cooked
in a flask in the coals of a fire. The result is amazing.
- Episode 3 - GOING MEATLESS
- This week Johnny and Damian explore two recipes that warm up
a cold winters night that will make vegetarians smile. The Spelt
and Kidney soup is simple to prepare but packed with a spectrum
of great flavors. They also prepare fresh Garganelli pasta and
compete the dish with seasonal vegetables.
- Episode 4 - BRUNCH IN CHIANTI
- Brunch is a favorite time to gather friends and family in the
Tuscan countryside. Johnny and Damian share three marvelous dishes
that are easy to prepare for such a gathering. A frittata starts
us off spiced with herbs and fresh parmigiano-reggiano. Next they
prepare a hearty fruit and nut bread that compliments the egg
- Episode 5 - FLORENTINE FANTASY
- The fames are roaring in the pizza oven as Johnny and Damian
prepare a Tuscan specialty, Bistecca alla Fiorentina. This three-pound
steak is marinated in olive oil and lots of garlic and cooked
over the coals in the pizza oven. This traditional Tuscan dish
is served off the bone and shared at the table by slicing off
small pieces. They finish off the dinner with Frittelle di Mele
or Apple Fitters in America. Simple and so tasty.
- Episode 6 - PASSION FOR PORCINI
- When Porchini mushrooms are in season in Tuscany it's cause
for celebration. Johnny and Damian prepare a fabulous risotto
with fresh Porchini's for us and share tips about cooking with
fresh vs. frozen or dried mushrooms. They are making a lovely
polenta with freshly steamed Porchini's.
- Episode 7 - FISHING VILLAGE FEAST
- Reminiscing about a visit to San Vincenzo, Johnny and Damian
prepare three wonderful dishes from the Tuscan coast. They start
the meal with stuffed mussels that tempt the palate. The main
dish is a hearty seafood stew. The piece de resistance is the
Fittelle di Bacala or Codfish fritters that melt in your mouth.
- Episode 8 - HEARTY ROASTING
- Family, family, family! Johnny and Damian revel in feasting
with their family. They share two great recipes to prepare for
family gatherings. First on the menu Pollo Arrosto con Patate
or roasted chicken with potatoes. So easy but so good. Then they
make a Florentine pork roast that will delight any group. The
final touch is a chocolate mouse that is easy to fix and easier
- Episode 9 - HOLY WINE
- Johnny and Damian take us back to the Tuscan countryside and
share memories of vineyards they have visited. They share a traditional
recipe from the region of chicken with a Vin Santo sauce. Biscotti
or Cantucci as it is called in Tuscany is a twice-baked biscuit
that has become very popular in the U.S. They show us the secret
to making this a home.
- Episode 10 - BEANS AND SAUSAGE
- Simplicity is the rule of thumb in Tuscany. Johnny and Damian
prepare a hearty Bean and Polenta soup that warms the heart as
well as the tummy. They also make a great main dish from the region
called Fagioli con Sulsicce or simply Beans and Sausage.
- Episode 11 - TUSCAN SPRING
- There are many signs that Spring has arrived in the Tuscan countryside.
Spring lamb stew is a perfect dish to prepare for a Sunday family
supper. Johnny and Damian also show us how easy it is to make
homemade crème-filled doughnuts. They are scrumptious and can
be served as a desert or for a Sunday brunch.
- Episode 12 - TUSCAN SIDE DISHES
- Tuscany cuisine has special unique flavors. Several of these
are featured in the recipes shared in today's show. Johnny and
Damian prepare three great side dishes that can be served with
a variety of main dishes. Stuffed Red Onions, Artichoke with Nepitella
(an herb found in Tuscany but available in the U.S.), and Fried
Zucchini Flowers that melt in your mouth.
- Episode 13 - BORN-AGAIN BREAD
- Soups are a favorite in the Tuscan home. Johnny and Damian share
recipes that they have found in their travels in the region. Ribollita
is a "reboiled" vegetable soup for every season and Pappa al Pomodoro
is a wonderful twist on tomato soup. They also prepare a traditional
Tuscan bread salad, which makes a perfect pairing for any soup.