FETTUNTA al POMODORO
Tuscan Tomato Bruschetta
- 1 pound very ripe but firm tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Several fresh basil leaves torn into a few pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 1-inch thick slices day-old Tuscan or rustic Italian bread
3 whole cloves garlic, cut in half sideways
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
To Prepare Tomato Topping (Checca)
1. Place the diced tomatoes in a bowl with the chopped garlic,
basil, oregano, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and olive
2. Macerate at room temperature for about 2 hours.
To Prepare Fettunta
1. Grill the bread until just crisp on both sides on an outdoor
grill or under a broiler.
2. While the bread is still hot, rub one side of the toast with
the cut side of the garlic cloves. Douse the toast liberally with
extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. At this
point the bread can be eaten as is (fettunta).
Top with the Checca and serve immediately.