1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Prepare the potatoes by combining the halves with the olive
oil, garlic, sage and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Place
potatoes on a sheet pan. Set aside.
3. To prepare the chicken, rub the bird with half of the olive
oil. Chop the sage and garlic together on a cutting board. Place
in a small bowl; add the salt and pepper. Press this mixture under
the chicken's skin. Season the bird inside and out with salt and
4. Heat the remaining oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high
heat. Brown the chicken well on all sides.
5. After the bird is well-browned, place in the oven along with
the pan of potatoes and roast for 40 minutes (stir the potatoes
at 20-minute intervals). Pour the wine into the pan with the chicken
and roast 15 - 20 minutes more.
6. Remove the chicken and potatoes from the oven and let rest
for 10 - 15 minutes. Remove the trussing string and cut the chicken
into serving pieces.
Serve on a warmed dinner platter surrounded by the potatoes. Pour
the cooking juices over the chicken.